Chesapeake programs help middle and high school students succeed.
Teen Empowerment programs
The Mayor’s Ambassadors are middle school youth who want to make a difference in unique, personal ways and set a good example as positive role models.
Youth Advisory Board
Join high school students who model and encourage a positive lifestyle while advising city leadership on matters related to teens. To become involved, teens must be nominated by a peer, school counselors or Chesapeake R U Ready coalition member.
Teen Educational Classes
Virginia Teens and the Law is a law-related program that teaches students and parents about Virginia’s laws and consequences of violating the law. Individual parent and student sessions will be conducted by local law enforcement officers.
S.H.E.L.L. (Safe, Healthy, Ethical, Lifelong Lessons) Classes is a three part series of classes that offers information on the following:
- Empowerment – will give teens the tools needed to do the right thing and make good, conscious decisions.
- Drugs and Alcohol – will discuss the facts about drugs and alcohol and their effects on the developing adolescent brain and body.
- Healthy Dating – discusses dating as it pertains to teens.
For any of these programs or classes contact-(757) 382-2226
Additional resources for parents of teens
- 5 ways to bully-proof your kid
- Helping kids deal with bullies
- Teaching kids not to bully
- When your child has trouble in coping
Preparing for High School:
A parent’s guide to surviving teen years:
- How to talk to your kids about drugs
- A positive way to talk to your kids about drugs
- Governor’s Task Force on RX Drug & Heroin Abuse in Virginia